Wednesday, March 16, 2011

More Black Gadgets than Faces

Today, Jack White stood in front of his newest innovation, the Third Man Rolling Record Store, during its debut appearance at South by Southwest. Surrounded by 300 fans with his famous yellow and black decor as a backdrop, Jack surprises his fans with a 2 song solo performance. 45 minutes before my phone starts to go crazy with Twitter posts from the Third Man sites. "Jack White debuts the Rolling Record store at noon, maybe something awesome will happen". Then, 40 minutes before the show, "4th and Colorado at Frank...Get here now, or forever regret it...".

I am in Fort Worth wishing I could transport myself instantly from my cubicle in Corporate America to the corner of 4th and Colorado in Austin on this Wednesday afternoon, as Jack is taking the stage (or more accurately, the parking lot).

"There's more black gadgets than faces", says Jack before he begins his first song. Typical Jack-style commentary referring to the number of people recording the show from their cell phones or cameras. I agree that people sometimes miss out on the experience, although physically present, in their desperate attempt to share the experience. However, I am forever grateful for those people who took video for You-Tube and posted pictures to Facebook. Even though I am handcuffed to my desk 200 miles away, I was able to *almost* experience it as though I was there. Almost.

The NPR footage is the best I have seen online. Here it is. Jack performing a Buddy Holly cover he simply calls "A Texas Song" followed by the White Stripes Song "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground". Jack's six minute mini set was followed by new Third Man Records recording artist SeaSick Steve who overcame some technical difficulties. I just hope Jacky boy is saving some surprises for Friday when I get there... Enjoy!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...