Wednesday, February 2, 2011

An Open Letter to Jack and Meg White

Dear Jack and Meg,



I get it. Honestly, I do. I understand, to the best of my fangirl ability, the desire to preserve what is special and perfect about the White Stripes. Quit while you are ahead. That is the idea, right? When I saw your tweet this morning, with the link to the story about your official breakup, I was heart broken. But I must admit I was not really that shocked or surprised. I mean, it has been nearly four years since your last album or canceled tour. I have always claimed to be cautiously optimistic regarding a new White Stripes tour. I really wanted it to be true, but I think deep down inside I knew better. You gave us the Under Great White Northern Lights documentary last year. That was amazing, but what I realize now is that it was foreshadowing to the announcement that came today. When I saw you cry Meg, in that final scene, I think I knew right then. I think you were crying about the end of the White Stripes. The end of Jack and Meg. I cried too, but I didn't know yet why.



I will always have my six favorite albums in my collection. I will also always cherish my red and white split color 'White Blood Cells' vinyl. The White Stripes aren't dead. They will live on forever in my soul and my on my record player.



The saddest part of this for me is the end of Meg in the public eye. We all know Jack will be around. Who can guess what is next? A solo album? A new collaboration? Producing some big name or an up-and-coming artist? I expect to see it all. soon. I can hardly wait to see what comes next. But what about you, Meg? I haven't heard from you since 2007. I suspect you have happily disappeared into anonymity. I always suspected that you were never very comfortable with the spot light that shined on you for all those years. You were this regular shy girl who loved music and records and Jack (like me!). The hardest part of this all is that we never had the chance to say goodbye to you Meg.



But, I forgive you Jack and Meg. I am not the kind of fan that holds a grudge. I trust you are doing what you feel is best for you. I get artist integrity. I also understand and want to preserve the perfection that is the White Stripes. I get it. I just have one request, please release 'Get Behind Me Satan' on vinyl as a peace offering to your fans.



Forever Grateful,

Lea

you can read the official announcement here:
http://www.whitestripes.com/

1 comment:

  1. I cried all day when they broke up.
    I really did. And I am almost 50. (Read your post about crying on Record Store Day).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...